This inititative should be of great interest to those who attended the main event hosted by the University of St Andrews Library for Open Access Week 2012 - The humanities and open access: opportunities and challenges.
Details of the academic backing and plans for the project can be found at http://www.openlibhums.org
Open Library of Humanities (OLH) will be an open access “megajournal” in the style of the US-run Public Library of Science (PLOS) http://www.plos.org and http://www.plosone.org; which will publish thoroughly peer reviewed humanities and social science research under Open Access conditions at a financially fair rate.
The Open Library of Humanities aims to provide a platform for Open Access publishing that is:
- Reputable and respected through rigorous peer review
- Sustainable Digitally preserved and safely archived in perpetuity
- Open in both monetary and permission terms
- Non-discriminatory (APCs are waiverable)
- Technically innovative in response to the needs of scholars and librarians
- A solution to the serials crisis